Tuesday, 9 September 2003

Before I rush off

I didn't go to Zambra today, and this guy who I think is SOOOOO cute is at Zambra today. Darn.

A customer at the bar last night challenged me (and his friend) with a couple of questions, some that really got me thinking. I only have time to mention one now... and that is Leonardo da Vinci's The Last Supper.

At the right hand of Jesus, should sit His most loved disciple. (Customer asks Who sits at the right hand of Jesus in da Vinci's Last Supper? D replies Err... Judas?! Customer widens eyes, smiles, asks Who sits at the right hand of Jesus in the painting? D replies I don't know! Err... Simon Peter? The friend meanwhile is looking behind us, at a group of girls who all look quite good. Customer sees this. Customer asks Dale! Who sits.... and the conversation goes on.) You know, the right hand man. But according to the customer who sat at the bar last night, there's a woman sitting next to Jesus, on His right hand side as well. And apparently, that woman is Mary Magdalene.

I guessed this only because the customer wanted to know if I'm a feminist. I'm not, not really, but I made the connection. So last night I rushed home from work, got on the internet, and saw for myself, Mary Magdalene at Jesus' right hand at the table. And wearing clothes that match Jesus' own clothes. And I read the texts about how Mary Magdalene was married to Jesus (?!!!!!!) and how there's a gospel of Mary and all the rest of that. Hm.

While I wasn't sure how to react to the gospel of Mary and her being a saint and the fact that she's a prostitute is "questionable" etcetc... what I did like was the fact that da Vinci had painted her in. Okay, so it could be a rather effeminate John, but really, it looks like a woman to me. And maybe the paintings on the internet were doctored, but well... it's been written about widely enough...!!! I like the fact that it was a small little taunt at the Catholic church *grin* I say yay to da Vinci!

And there's a knife held threateningly not too far to the right of Mary too (the viewer's left-hand side) and apparently no one can figure out who that hand belongs to. And for some reason the supper takes place during daytime... and all in all, it is a most intriguing picture hahaha. Oh and there's a book called The Da Vinci Code which I never bothered to read, but I will now - it's fiction but it's based on the whole Last Supper - intriguing-items-in-the-picture - thing.

I wonder what God says about it all.... I think He has a sense of humour and would just laugh it off. Well, now after all this time has passed at least. Maybe not then... must put it on my list of things to ask God when I see Him...

No comments: