Thursday, 26 March 2009

Stumbling blocks.



It's been bugging me lately, the connection between song and writer. Do we stop singing a song - or does it mean less - when the writer of the song is not what/who we think s/he is? As in, do we stop singing the song Healer because the writer of the song is not sick? Just because he is not sick does not mean our God is not a healing God. It bugs me that the song's been taken off songlists. Was the song only a good song because the dude had cancer?

Yes, I suppose the argument could be long and convoluted. And yes, I agree with Paul's words that we should try to eliminate anything in our lives that might cause others to stumble, and if this song reminds people of a mistake made and perhaps, makes people angry at being deceived etc etc, then so be it, it has to be removed. Yes? *sigh* I just wish people would be more forgiving. I'm so glad God is not human.

I think I was quite stunned by a few comments made over the past week with regards to certain lyrics in certain songs - worship songs. I guess with the Healer dude, he'd become so very famous that everyone knew his lie. But when you come from a small church - where everyone knows everyone else (or almost, anyway) - with a worship band awesome enough to write their own songs, and you know of certain details of these people's lives... do you find it hard to sing their songs? Do you find it difficult to stomach their leading worship?

What can I say, I'm blessed with super short memory and an ability to block out the bad. More importantly, I've learnt that it's all about God anyway, so who gives a rat's bum about anything else. But... it turns out people do give a rat's bum. How sad.

God bless our leaders and keep them safe.

No comments: