Wednesday, 22 April 2009

Censorship

So I was watching the Ellen show and it's the episode where Portia de Rossi comes on, aired in the States on March 16th, aired in Hong Kong yesterday, April 21st. I've watched the episode on YouTube because, come on, it's Portia on Ellen (!!) but I was happy to see the full episode on TV because I'd only seen the Portia bits and really, the rest of the hour-long show is also interesting.

And so it went, until Portia comes on. And the first three minutes of the interview is cut out. Why? I can only assume that it's because Ellen refers to Portia as My wife, they refer to their wedding and they talk about what it's like being married to each other.

And then when they went on to play the Newlywed Game, I realized their portion of the game has been cut out AND we are only ever shown Ellen's reaction to the other couple playing. It's almost like Portia didn't exist. WTF?

I didn't know gay marriage was a censored thing on TV. I... just didn't. I'm still a little in shock. Wow.



I'm supposing that as a Christian I, too, am supposed to disregard their marriage. But man, their commitment is as strong as any other married couple I know. That sucks *sigh* I don't know. I don't know why I think it's okay for other people but not for me. I don't know why I can accept that certain parts of the Bible are okay to be taken in context and others not so much. I don't know. And I can't wait until I die so I can ask God.

In the meantime, I know this is going to continue to be an issue for me for a very long time. Sigh. I suppose I could just suppress as I have for the past couple of years and pretend it's not. I could just shy out of any gay-related discussion topic. But dude. It's always going to be there. There's no getting around it.

God bless His people... gay and straight...

No comments: