For the longest time, I've loved the quote "It is what it is". I say it when I realise that I've taken things too personally, or I'm being too anal about (work-related) things that I really need to learn to let go of. I stress out easily because I want things just so, and as a result, I tell myself, It is what it is, in the hope that I just accept the situation... and things don't really have to be done my way.
On Sunday, this belief was challenged. Challenged by Eugene Cho, who I've heard so much about, and for the first time, heard him speak. It was such a coincidence that I made it back to Hong Kong this weekend, and such a blessing to have heard his sermon.
The Justice Conference was never something that I related to. I understand that there are the poor who need help. I understand that there are the oppressed who need help. I understand. But I understood from my armchair. And the truth is, I didn't want to get up off of my armchair.
On Sunday, something shifted. I'm still not going to go out onto the streets and share and pray with random people. Maybe one day I'll have the boldness, the courage. Right now, I really don't. But the Justice Conference didn't seem quite so far away anymore. As I reflected upon the words that were being said, I felt like I could make documentaries and videos about these people who need help, who need our compassion. What's the point of complaining about and being angry about the wealth gap and all of that if there is no action to be taken?
So anyway. I just wanted to put down in words that I was challenged. And I hope that when I go back to read this, I might actually be on my way to doing something about this whole justice problem.
Yup.
Emmanuel.
Tuesday, 21 May 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment