Despite my own claims that I will go to church on Sunday, it didn't happen yesterday and yet again I wasn't in the least surprised when I was woken at 4ish in the afternoon. I don't seem to have much determination in any God-related issue. And I think this apathy is worse than... you know how Jesus said fence-sitters are the worstest kind? I kinda feel like I fall into that category. To profess that I believe in God and that I love Him and yet do absolutely sodding nothing that actually shows it. Why do I think I'm on the one-way road to Hell... and worse still, why am I not doing anything about it?
Anyway.
I went to play poker after I was woken up because I hadn't been around (ie. I haven't been hanging with my friends) and I'm supposed to be leaving again soon... and so I arrived at this duplex apartment in Mid-Levels around five I guess. And then not ten minutes after I'd arrived, I get a phone call, and it's my boss in Shanghai.
You know, I left for Shanghai with trepidation. In the back of my head, there was this voice that was telling me that she (the boss woman) doesn't really want to work with me all that much, and while I was quite sure that was the case, I attributed this to the fact that it had taken me a year and a half to actually get going with the job. I figured that when I got there we would smooth things out and if it didn't work out then fine, I'd head back to Hong Kong and um... I didn't think it would not work out.
In Shanghai things went according to plan (all except for the fact that I picked up an unexpected freelance job that I don't particularly want, thank goodness it's almost over). I got the job, I had housing, I was in the office although I hadn't officially started work yet, I was doing my homework to ensure that I knew my stuff. Ya know, it was all there. I returned to Hong Kong for Chinese New Year because everything closes in Shanghai, and because I miss the warmth of Hong Kong... and was due to head up to Guangzhou for meetings next week before flying back to Shanghai to shoot a tv commercial.
So anyway, I get this phone call yesterday afternoon (evening?!) and it's my boss and she's telling me that she's closing down the company. My jaw drops, but I respond and say "okaaaaay" and well. The issue is this.
To open a company in Shanghai, you need a Shanghainese person to be the licence holder and the bank account holder and all that. I'm simplifying things here but the thing I know for sure is that it's essential there is a Shanghainese person in the process. A silent partner, so to speak, with a gratuity for their hard work being the licencee. Before the company started making money, the silent partner was okay with everything... and now that the company is making some money, the silent partner is no longer so silent. More demands... and more demands... driving my boss up the wall... until yesterday when it got too much and she decided, well sod this, I shall just close this down.
And so. I am left in Hong Kong with 80% of all my clothes and things in Shanghai, my iPod charger thingy in Shanghai, and my life in well... a mess.
It had seemed like the best thing for me - an absolute challenge, to go to a place I am not particularly familiar with, to survive in a work place where I have no understanding (or little at least) of the work AND the language, to live AND work with a woman who well... I wasn't sure I'd get on with if I had to be with her 24/7. And most of all, to sit down and go at this one job for a couple of years at least. But it was work that I would enjoy - production on a smaller scale - and it was a city that I liked, and well, I like a challenge. Shouldn't have put so much emphasis on the challenge, because wayhay, here I am facing probably the biggest challenge of my life: unemployment with absolutely no frigging idea what to do, not to mention being cash strapped, houseless and 27. ARGH!
If this is not a sign that Shanghai is not the place for me, then I really do not know what is. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAAAAA... I mean really. The first time I tried to move to Shanghai, I was taken to Guangxi instead. And then when I tried again, I was given a job. And now that I have taken matters into my own hands and moved there without asking God first, hey look, the company's closed down. Okay. I get the point.
So here I am in Hong Kong, not knowing where God will take me next. Well. Heh. First stop is probably the Vine Centre and volunteering there... especially since I have SOD ALL to do. Can you believe I bought a two thousand dollar jacket (goose down what can I say) to keep warm in Shanghai... and that I only wore it for a couple of days because it was raining too hard?!? HONESTLY.
Anyhoo. There we have it. I think it's hilarious... I can't wait to see what God is gonna do next. And I promise you, I'm not being sarcastic.
God bless :) Love your life!!!
Monday, 6 February 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment