Tuesday, 13 October 2009

Redundant conversations.

Apparently, it's a bitchy thing to not like redundant conversations. And by redundant conversations, I mean like when you bump into someone at the bus stop after work and ask - by the way, this is all Cantonese conversation, I don't really think we do it as much in English - Waiting for a bus? In English, I guess we'd ask Going home? which is less redundant because well, the person in question might be going to his/her sister's place or to evening school or whatever. Hmm.

And the same applies for when one has had a haircut. You cut your hair! seems to me to be a very redundant phrase when it's pretty darn obvious the hair is shorter - or even just different. You look great! sounds awfully patronizing - who needs *your* (or anyone's) opinion on how good/bad they look. I mean, honestly, if it didn't look great, there isn't much one can do about it anymore until it grows out again. And it's not like one cuts one hair to look good. Oh wait. Maybe some people do do that *frowns*

So anyway. I've cut my hair. And people are commenting on it. And I just try to be nice and smile and nod and say Thank you when people say Oh! You've cut your hair! or Hey! Looks great! or whatever.

Why am I such a bitch?

God bless bitches *sigh*

No comments: