Wednesday, 4 November 2009

The vampire thing.

So I subscribed to AXN Beyond because they were doing re-runs of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and I must say, it's the best decision I've made over the past couple of months. I love Buffy. And watching these re-runs brought to my attention just how much of the Twilight series stems from this wonderful TV series.

It's strange though, the Twilight series made me cringe a lot, but Buffy never did. Perhaps because I watched it when I was much younger, but also perhaps because I watched it for research - yes I wrote a paper on Buffy. Or rather, on Willow and Tara. I was so so so upset when Tara died. I almost couldn't get through season 7 because of it.

It's obvious that Angel is Edward Cullen's predecessor... the 'good' vampire, the vegetarian. It's a little less obvious (but still obvious) that Oz is Jacob's predecessor... the cute boy who makes people laugh... Interestingly enough, both Edward and Jacob do away with the myths that come with vamps (death in sunlight) and wolves (uncontrollable wolf-morphing at full moon). Such interesting stuff.

If I were still at school, I would totally be writing papers on this whole thing. It's quite a waste that the only paper I wrote that had anything to do with Buffy, was to do with Willow & Tara's relationship. There's oh-so-much to write about, including Joss Whedon's (really quite negative) take on relationships in general. Every time anyone get too close, something happens. Angel and Buffy - the good vamp turns evil. Oz and Willow - he becomes a dangerous werewolf. Xander and all the girls he falls for - the girls are always some form of demon or mummy or whatever. Giles and Jenny Calender - Ms Calendar dies. Willow and Tara - Tara dies. Blah blah blah. It's all terribly sad... which is why, I suppose, so many teenagers love the Twilight series - happy endings are always preferred, no?

Anyway. I do wish I had Buffy on DVD. It's fun to try and catch Buffy on TV (6am, 10am, 5pm) but I'd much rather have it on DVD so it can just play and replay in my DVD machine. Ah well. Life is not perfect. I love Buffy.

God bless Joss Whedon...

No comments: