I recently met a guy whom I shall call A. I don't know if I will remember that I've called him A in future blog posts, but for now, let's call him A.
The first two times I saw A was at karaoke. He had had a few drinks, and was singing his heart out. He had (has!) a great voice, but sitting on the fringes of the group (it was a humungous karaoke room, like I'd never seen before), he struck me as the cocky, arrogant type. I had no intention of being friends with him, and in fact, was laughing about his bling and his look and his style with another friend of mine. Said friend and I call each other Bitch. We are, in fact, very bitchy.
Anyhow. The third time I saw A, we were hotpotting. My bitchy friend was not there. I was the last to arrive because I'd been working, and the only seat left was next to him. So I sat down, and finally got to know this guy who I was so sure I'd dislike. Turns out, I like him immensely. And he does have a great voice.
Unfortunately, A is signed to a record & management company that is known for shady deals and for leaving some of their artists in the lurch. It is unfortunate, because A really is one of the better vocalists in this little city, and he really hasn't been giving a chance. It is also unfortunate, because A is a really nice guy, but everyone who doesn't know him really doesn't know that. I don't know why he gives off such negative impressions. And it's not just me who thinks that. I've talked to music producers about him, talked to friends about him... they all get the same feeling.
To "make it" in the world of entertainment, there's so much that's left to fate and chance and timing. It's been three years since he won a couple of singing competitions and was signed to this label. It's been three years, and he's really not done any work at all. I feel so bad for him, yet there is nothing I can do for him. Except pray, of course.
It's sad that he's been left on the waiting list, left behind in the trenches it seems... and he knows it. He keeps his chin up and doesn't let too many people see the sad side of it, but it comes through when he's drunk... and tonight, he was drunk.
I know there are many like him who are hanging around at the fringes. Perhaps some even more talented than he is. I hope one day, they will know their calling and they will know their path. And they will not give up or lose hope on life, because life is so much more than just work.
God bless.
Saturday, 16 October 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment