Thursday, 11 August 2011

The Miracle.

Did I already write about the miracle? I seem to think I have, but I can't find the post *frowns* Strange.

So, my oldest oldest (as in I've known her the longest, and not that she's ancient) friend, G, who is one of my angels, and who I love dearly, is getting married. Her fiance is a wonderful Norwegian dude, who makes me laugh a lot. He's also quite cute, makes fantastic pizza, and (much to my disgust) likes Manchester United. Anyway. He proposed early last year, after which they went on a six-month round-the-world trip, and they decided straight away that they would get married either in Bali or Phuket. I prayed for Bali, because I've never been (hahaha - I've never been to Phuket either hahaha), and Bali it is. Yay me.

End of last year, when I went to Singapore and stayed at their place, G told me that they were looking at a September date, and it would be two weekends - one in Singapore for the relatives, and one in Bali for close friends and family. And then she asked me to emcee the Singapore wedding, and be maid-of-honour in Bali. I wish I could have said yes, but I couldn't. It just wasn't feasible. My job is such that I can't schedule anything ahead of time, because I can't take off if there are shows, gigs or events that I have to be at. Leave won't be approved. C'est la vie, it's nothing to complain about because I knew that it was part of the job when I took it on. I accept it. But that doesn't make me feel any better. I hate the conflict that goes on in my head, the argument that work is not everything and it's relationships with family and friends that matter more. And yet, every single time, priority goes to work. Hai.

Aaaaanyway. I turned down her wonderful request for me to be her emcee/maid-of-honour, and she made it clear that it didn't matter if I couldn't be those things as long as I could be there. And oh how I hoped I could be there.

Fast forward to late April 2011. My boss' mum never gives me a schedule further than a month ahead, yet for some reason, in late April, she gave ma schedule that went all the way to December. Most things beyond June had no real set date, and also had a (tbc) after it, but there was one thing that didn't - a concert on the exact same date of the Bali wedding. My heart broke, but I chose not to tell G... partly because I just didn't want to believe it, but mostly because I'd rather she be upset for a lesser time (in April, it was a good five months until the wedding).

Fast forward to late July... and I was asking about the schedule because it just seemed that I was going to be quite free for about two weeks, so I wanted to confirm... and Boss said that he was scheduled to fly out for promotions, but because the concert might be cancelled, he might not have to go. I was flabbergasted. My heart did a little leap, and I tried to keep my joy under wraps as I asked about what was going on. He explained, and I asked if I could take that weekend off to go to the wedding if it was confirmed. He agreed, and a few days later, called to say that he wasn't flying out... meaning, the concert was postponed. I responded by telling him it was the best news I'd heard all year, and then tempered it with I am sorry about the concert though.... Hahahaha. Oops.

Immediately, I emailed G with the fabulous news, and also emailed Boss' mum with an official leave request... and then G sorted out my accommodation in Bali and now I have tickets to that gorgeous little island for early September! I am so ridiculously excited, I can't believe it. It's a miracle. Concerts never get pushed!! I am so blessed. So. Very. Blessed!!!!

I suppose it's not a humungous miracle though - it's not a healing or anything ridunkulously supernatural etc - but it means so much to me, and it's so personal... Ahhhh. I am so blessed.

Bless you!

No comments: