Last year, when the first year of my current job was about to end, my boss sat me down and talked about my future. Essentially, he gave me an out. It was an out that I did not take, since he told me that I would still be travelling, even though there would be no immediate pay rise, it might happen in a year or so...
This afternoon, while my boss and I were having tea (we were actually waiting for the car), I mentioned how I was thinking about the tour manager thing - mainly because I like production work and since I'm making contacts in the music biz, it seems like... well, it seems an interesting thing. The only problem, of course, is that in Hong Kong, most people wear many hats - meaning that tours have gone without a specific tour manager because the organisers/ artist management/ musical director will organise everything that needs organising. And it would be extremely difficult to extract an extra sum of money from the budget to pay the created role of tour manager. So I was talking to boss about it, and he agreed. Tour managers in Hong Kong probably aren't going to make it very far.
And then since I'd brought up the topic of work, he decided to tell me that the pay rise is not going to happen. I'd actually expected this. I mean, my job is not exactly... it's not entirely redundant, but then it's not exactly that necessary either. I don't know, you know, I don't know. Anyway. He knows - because he's my friend - that I have serious financial issues. And basically, he gave me an out. So do I take it? Or do I stick to this job and pray pray pray for freelance work that will boost my income? Or should I quit and do something else altogether? But what the heck would I do??!! Seriously... What?!!
It's funny-slash-strange that the timing is... this. I mean, my year isn't up until April so I wouldn't have expected this conversation to happen now (although I suppose I accidentally brought it up). But this timing is weird because my flatmate is moving out. I'd actually been looking forward to having my own place again, even though it's really stupid in terms of rent. Bah. Is it time for me to move out? Go to Shanghai or Beijing or something? Do I go back to production? Or do I do some serious God work? Or... do I stick to this job?
I like how just as I'd decided that I would continue with the job and use freelance work to supplement income, this comes up. And of course, my heart starts racing when I think about all the possibilities... Tour manager almost seems like a dream job - more so than production - lots of travelling, lots of organising = totally my thing!!!!! I wonder... I wonder...
So I suppose it's time for prayer - it's always time for prayer, but well, now more than any time :) Sometimes, often, I wish I were more creative. It seems creating is so much more active than organising. I mean... how can I go about actively organising when there is nothing for me to organise *frowns* But I suppose we can't all be creative... there has to be someone who executes the ideas right... :)
God bless :)
Wednesday, 18 January 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment