Friday, 6 January 2012

Food, Inc.

2011 ended and 2012 began and I had nothing to say or write about.

And then I went and watched Food, Inc. which my boss told me to watch ages ago. It was supposed to be background noise while I translated and copyedited. I'm really an idiot for thinking I wouldn't be completely engrossed in it... It's funny, I could never make myself sit down and watch it because I was worried that it would affect what I eat and what I feel about what I eat. But that didn't happen. I suppose because there's some level of distance in effect here - I can talk myself into believing that those multinational food corporations only affect those in North America. Of course, there's always the nagging worry that China is probably ten times worse... But well, we Chinese have stomachs of steel. Heh.

Strangely enough, what affected me was the people and their stories. The fate of the workers, the farmers, the people who can only afford the bad food. It's so sad. And all I could think was I am so blessed. I am so blessed to not have to work those food factory lines. I am so blessed that I can afford to eat carrots and broccoli (even if I can't afford to eat organic), and not just chips and cokes (although I usually choose to eat the bad foods... but at least I have the choice.)

God bless the farmers, the workers and the people who can't afford vegetables.

And now, I have to get back to work.

No comments: