At an alumni luncheon today, I was happy to see all these people who I've known for over a decade. People who knew me in my awkward teen phase, and who still love and accept me for who I am. These people are few and far between haha. In any case, I was thankfully seated next to people who I know, but there were one or two faces around who I didn't, and I had zero interest in getting to know.
As such, I basically ignored this little girl (by little, I do realise she's probably in her mid-20s) who was sitting in my quarter of the table, until it got too obvious, so I tried to make nice but nothing except the most generic questions came to mind. What do you do? Oh, which firm are you with? Do you enjoy it? How mundane. And boring. I hate small talk.
In any case, I was ready to forget about said girl, until she said to the girl sitting next to her, who is so much better at the small talk thing, that she was not sure if this career path is for her. To which I asked, Well, what would you like to do then? and she replied she would like to work for the church. Wow. Immediately, I got interested... but I didn't talk to her again through the afternoon.
As I was leaving, it occurred to me that I probably should have. So when I got home, I sent her an email. I sent her Psalm 27:14, and I tried to encourage her although in a way, maybe I just sound patronising. I am so socially awkward, I don't know what the norms are anymore. Oh well. If God doesn't think that email should be read, He can make it disappear in cyberspace. And since I was rather standoffish at the lunch, I decided I needed to show a little kindness. I hope it's perceived as a kindness. Ah. Whatever. God will take care of it.
So anyway. The interesting thing for me, was to realise that I have no interest in getting to know new people, until I realise they are Christian (although technically, everyone at the table is "Christian" since we all went to the same Christian school haha) or at least until I realise that they share my love for God. Which is sooooo weird.
And yet last night, when I was at happy hour with two very unChristian friends, I shuddered at the thought of being set up with a devoted Christian boy who prays for his friends and tells them. I shuddered just typing that. Hahahaha. Ugh. I think the issue I have is with the telling. Hmm.
Okay. Too weird. I'm going to... pretend I'm normal and play zookeeper. Yeah.
Sunday, 13 January 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment