Sunday, 6 January 2013

The last 2012 post... a bit late...

Considering the fact that my last post was two months ago, one can only assume that I have either been very busy or very lazy. Or both. Admittedly though, I did meet a new friend and spent most of the last month of the year talking to her *eyes roll* (More on that later haha.) And then it was the end of the year and there was all the pressure of reflecting over the past twelve months blah blah.

Anyway. I'm here. And I'm back. And it's the first Sunday of the year and I feel like I should go to church because it's communion (also because I haven't been in a few months). It's strange to be in this situation, where I am scared of a service and refuse to go. What the heck is wrong with me. Seriously.

ANYWAY.

This is my belated end-of-year reflectory post. And it goes as follows:

- Didn't read nearly enough books (although I watched a lot of movies, both at the cinema and at home). Actually. Let me rephrase. Did not read enough books. I think I only finished one or two in the entire year. What the heck...

- Watched a helluva lot of good movies this year. Including, but not limited to, Skyfall (done!), Perks of Being a Wallflower (fabulous soundtrack!), Argo (argofuckyourself!!!), The Avengers (Joss Whedon baby!), The Amazing Spiderman (Andrew Garfield *drool*), Prometheus (which I enjoyed but wish there'd been more... more action, more scariness, more...), The Intouchables (which made me laugh so much), Looper (best time-travel movie I've seen in ages), Premium Rush (anything JGL - although I hated the reasoning behind the whole plot *eyes roll*), The Raid: Redemption (best action film I've seen in aaaaages - like Asian action, not Hollywood action), Dredd (which I would probably have loved if I hadn't seen R:R, sadly),The Dark Knight Rises (I'm quite sad that's the end of an era... but what a fabulous ending!!), Moonrise Kingdom (I heart Wes Anderson), W.E. (which I personally think is totally underrated), The Life of Pi (which was great, but... I wanted it to be better... Hmm...), Les Miserables (which was one of the bestest musicals put on the big screen EVER... it made me cry sooooo much)

- Flattie moved out at the beginning of the year, and I've come to realise how much I love living alone... I think it's an age thing. Seriously.

- Went to Singapore for five days, which I then extended and extended and extended again. I don't think I would have come back to Hong Kong if not for Clockenflap... I am forever grateful to my wonderful friends in Singa who are so generous with their hospitality and time and everything. Makes my heart dance!

- 3G in Singapore really sucks though. Compared to HK... and I use 3. 3 freaking sucks. Tsk tsk tsk.

- Watched Sigur Ros for the first time (in Singapore). VIP pass and all. OMG. I LOVE THEM. It was an outdoor show and it began to rain and you'd think that would kill the concert, but omgoodness, it made the show EVEN BETTER!!!! I LOVE SIGUR ROS!!!!!

- Stopped going to church after August... half-intentionally, half-not. Can't ever seem to get up in time for morning service, and the 4pm is a scarily titled "Creative" service. And I see the pictures and the tweets and I just don't think I can deal with it. I like staying at to one side. Kind of hiding. And I think it's an improvement that I am not in the last five rows anymore. Guess I'm really not one to step out of my comfort zone *sigh* Especially not at church, where I feel the least safe. Such irony, hey.

- Fell in like with a girl. Again. What the heck is wrong with me. Any correlation with the not-going-to-church-anymore? Haha... who knows. The worst part is, she's Christian. And it's like my number one required thing in a new relationship. Mainly because I've never dated a Christian and somehow it became a point of contention (if not with the partner, then at least with myself) in every single past relationship. So I decided that I wouldn't date anyone who wasn't Christian (unless it was absolutely freaking clear that it was God-ordained or something)... and along comes a girl who is Christian and I go and fall for her. What the heck. So I didn't tell anyone except my sister, who laughed at me, and my old plus leader, who said incredulously, You'd rather date a girl who is Christian, than a guy who is... not?? So I explained my reasoning. She sort of smiled at my logic, and then rolled her eyes. Hahaha.

- For reasons that will stay hidden (for now), the girl and I must stay friends. However, I've come to realise how... *sigh*... pathetic I am, in that I was totally ready to try going out with someone of the same sex. Again. It is worth noting here that I'm not gay. What the heck. I've been there, done that, and I'm really not. I talked to TCW about this (after the girl and I decided to stay friends) and he agreed with my "explanation" of my idiotic actions: I'm bored.

- After more than a year of not touching Final Cut Pro, I can still use it. Phew. And it comes easier than it did last year. And I've learnt to be more ruthless. Yay.

- Worked on the biggest movie I've ever worked on. Ever. And even though it was just a plate shoot, omgoodness, I can't believe that in a year's time (or less - I signed an NDA, can't tell anyone anything now) I can tell people, I freaking worked on that!!!

- On the other hand, that shoot really made me realise how much I miss making movies, and how little I use my brain nowadays (I was so stressed and my brain was sooo tired that week, yet I hadn't been happier in a very, very long time). There's a part of me that really hopes I can make the switch back into film... I pray, I hope, I wonder...

- Lastly, 2012 brought me closer to God. I know I am still not as close as I should be, but I am definitely closer. And I say that not with pride, but with thankfulness, that He should love me so much that He would care to bring me closer. Yay. And yes, I lapse into the smoking thing sometimes, and no, I haven't been to church in ages, but yes, I talk to God every day, all the time, and it always brings a smile to my face. And the best thing about my relationship with God? He always answers me. Hee hee. I am so blessed. May I never forget it.

So... 2012 has been a great year. There have been several failures and ups and downs and everything, but 2012 has been a great year... and I can only imagine 2013 to be even better. Especially since it started off with Dear Jane getting an award that they have long deserved (yes, I am biased, so what)... I almost cried backstage.... Hahaha...

God bless!

No comments: