Wednesday, 19 March 2014

The sweet sweet sound of music... not.

Watching Veronica Mars, watching her lose the love of her life, again. The aftermath is that she puts on heartbreakingly devastating songs, song after song, and she is barely able to move.

The funny thing, is that it reminded me of the first week of October, six and a half years ago. I was in Yanjing, off Beijing, sharing a room with the cable-girl for the soundman. The boom operator was also in the room, talking to the cablegirl about work. I was lying on my bed, checking Facebook, seeing what my friends were saying about the "new couple". My iTunes was on, Canto and Mandopop, sad, sad songs... and suddenly, I raced into the bathroom, and crashed to the floor, and started bawling.

Maybe 20 minutes later, I ventured out of the bathroom. Both the sound crew were silent. I bummed a smoke off the boom op, and made it out onto the balcony.

Ten minutes later, he gently opened the sliding door and came over to give me a hug. We smoked in silence, until I went back into the room.

And his words to me that night, still echo in my head sometimes:
-- Stop listening to that music. It'll kill you.

No comments: