Sunday, 23 May 2004

Shanghai madness

Friday. Day off. The first real day off for me in a while. The third Friday since coming to this huge city where I feel more lost than I ever have.

The first Friday I slept. I slept until 9pm. It was a good rest, a good thing to sleep that much because the weeks before had been so crazy. The second Friday I was in Hong Kong working. Well, half working. Running around buying Myoplex and Puma shoes and what-not. And this third Friday, I received an invitation to brunch.

I wasn't sure I wanted to go. I gave the lame excuse that I might have to work - it wasn't really such a lame excuse because that morning I was woken up really early in the morning by people in L.A. who couldn't find my boss. But in the end I did go, and I'm glad I did because it gave me a chance to hang out, to chill, to meet new people and to get to know the people I work with a little bit more. I didn't want to go because I didn't want to see old friends who are now so far removed. I didn't want to go because I knew they would be drinking and I can't drink. I didn't want to go because I was worried I'd just end up in a pathetic little corner as I often do when there are big groups of people. I don't like big groups. But I guess the alternative was even less appealing - to be by my pathetic self and not know what to do. I had a book to read, I could have read. I was tired, I could have slept. But for whatever reason, I went.

And I had a great time. Seven hours in one place chilling with these people who cracked me up big time. Made Bloody Marys - not that they were any good at all - and made Mimosas for the people who do drink. It was good fun. We were gonna make brownies... but that didn't work out. I'm not sure I want to post why :) It was hilarious though.

The three girls who were left (myself included) then decided to go out and get a massage. We went to this new place called Dragonfly and it SUCKS. Don't go. It's on Xinle Lu. It sucks. When we left, we got caught in this huge thunderstorm. There were no taxis, we were in the middle of nowhere - not entirely true... we were in the middle of nowhere because we had no idea and no sense of direction in Shanghai because we're still so new to this place. And that is especially true in my case becaus I never go out. But we got caught in a thunderstorm and I was soaking wet and I was absolutely freezing.

In the end we ducked into this place called the Ashanti Dome, which used to be a huge Russian Orthodox cathedral. It's stunning... but it's SO WEIRD. I died of laughing walking into the place, for I had recommended this place to two Australians who are about double my age. I can imagine why they never talked about it. They didn't even trash it. They just pretended it never happened hahahahahahaha. It was a really nice place, but the live performance was a bit weird. It was Friday night and it was kinda quiet. It was so funny. But I had a good time. Us three girls talked - or rather, I talked - and it was a good laugh. In the end a prince in shining armour came to pick us up. He managed to get a taxi from the hotel and then he came over to pick us up to get back to the hotel. There would have been no other way we would have been able to get home at a respectable hour if not for him.

Friday was a good day.

And today. Saturday. A zillion problems were created... what with one of our drivers in a fight with the security at the Marriott (it's a FIVE STAR HOTEL for goodness sakes) which resulted in a gash down his right face. Just above the eye and down to his cheek. I was shocked and really mad.. How can these things happen? It's madness. I was so angry.

But I got off early today. I shouldn't complain. Though I now feel kinda sick. Ughness. But it's all good. I'm going to bed.

Happy belated birthday Diane. I love you.

God bless :)

No comments: