Wednesday, 31 December 2008

memories. fabulous memories.

I love long walks. It's one of the things I love about Shanghai. I'm sure I've blogged about this before because I have a label that's called long walks. Maybe I should go and read the posts under it before I actually write this post. Hahahha.

My first memory of long walks is in England. In Kent. Walking along the paths of the school to the town. Which really wasn't that far away but because I was so darn lazy, it seemed like a long walk. Autumns were the best time for walks like that. In winter your legs get too cold. In summer you're too busy studying for exams. Hahhaha. Walking past the fields of sheep. Through the grass or on the paths. Sneaking a smoke once in a while, when you think you're out of sight. Every so often someone would get caught. Smokes... I rarely smoked then.

I also liked walking in London. It was my way of exploring the city. Walking from Charing Cross to Leicester Square (Chinatown!) to Oxford Circus (hotdogs from street vendors!) turning around to go back to Covent Garden (Miss Saigon at Theatre Royal Drury Lane!!) Those were the days. Often cold, grey days. But I loved it all the same.

Walking in Hong Kong is slightly different. You have to pick the right time. Usually Hong Kong is way too crowded to take a nice long walk. Too many people, too much traffic. But there are times when long walks are gorgeous. We used to walk from Causeway to my home every weekend. It was a good long walk. We used to chat so much. So many years ago. When it was really cold, you would take my hand and put it in your jacket pocket. Those were good days, really good days. I miss them. We had such a good time.

I rarely make long walks in Hong Kong a regular thing anymore. I walk home from TST when I am in TST but that is a rarity in itself...

The last city where I take long long walks is in Shanghai. I enjoyed these walks a lot, under the tree-lined streets. So many quaint shops to look into, so many interesting buildings. Shanghai, a clash of old and new, east and west. Gorgeous, beautiful Shanghai.

TY recently mentioned how long walks are romantic stuff. They are indeed. Maybe one day I'll find someone to share these long walks with. For now, I'll just share them with God.

God bless. Have a fabulous 2009.

No comments: