Tuesday, 21 September 2010

And the Best Boss award goes to...

Today is 21st September, 2010.

A few months ago - back in July I think - I had this terrible decision to make. I couldn't decide whether or not to buy tickets to see Jay Chou. I have loved Jay Chou for ten years, although the past two or three years, much much less. Still. It's Jay Chou. You know. But I couldn't justify paying $800+ to see a concert. Especially not a Jay Chou concert. Especially not Jay Chou now. I don't think it's him that's changed, it's me. It's life.

Anyway. Boss was there as I was trying to make up my mind. You know me. I have to ask everyone what they think. Boss told me I should go (he knows all about my love affair with Jay)... But in the end, it came down to the fact that internationally rockin' acts - like Mika and Green Day and Lady Gaga - don't charge that much. It's pathetic. I couldn't do it. So I turned the offer down (front row!) and that was that.

A few weeks later, the posters and billboards went up. I was with Boss in a taxi when we crossed the cross-harbour tunnel... and I saw a humungous billboard. And I stared at it for as long as I could as we drove past, then looked down into my lap and sighed. Boss rolled his eyes and called the head of promotions in his company.

-- Is Jay still at Sony?
-- Yes, why?
-- Sony don't have artist tickets, do they?
-- Don't think so...
-- But if I wanted to buy, I can buy through them right?
-- I suppose so, I'll ask for you.
-- Thanks.

The conversation brightened my day. I couldn't believe my Boss would go to the trouble of doing that because I'd passed on the chance myself. But I didn't think anything would come of it - if anything, it was July back then and far too early for us to know our schedule. I totally thought we'd be back on tour in September.

Cut to last Thursday and I received a call at 11am.

-- Hey... you still sleeping?
-- Yeah no it's okay what's up?
-- Your Boss is going to watch Jay on Tuesday. This is the number to call when you get there.
-- Oh... okay... thanks...

I hung up feeling this growing excitement... I felt like dancing... but then wasn't sure if this was a cruel joke. So I called Boss.

-- Boss... are you going to see Jay on Tuesday?
-- How did you know?
-- M just called to let me know how to get tickets.
-- Oh.
-- Yeah so I'll get the tickets and pass them to you.
-- Okay.
-- Um. Boss? Are... are you going to watch it with me?
-- No.
-- Oh. Okay. I'll call you when I have them then.
-- Of course I'm going to see it with you. Who else would I see it with?

You should have seen the grin on my face. Seriously. I almost couldn't stop giggling the entire day. ENTIRE DAY.

And so today, we went to see Jay Chou. It's so weird, watching Jay with Boss. If only because I can't stand and jump and dance and scream... heh. But I saw it and really, that's all I wanted.

Thank you Boss. Bless you. Always. And not just because you got me tickets to see Jay Chou :)


No comments: