Saturday, 3 April 2004

Brekkie the Shanghai way

I had to get up at six this morning and so I splurged and ordered breakfast from the in-room dining service (otherwise known as room service) here in the executive apartments of the JW Marriott in Shanghai. Boss paid - he was the reason I was up in the early dawn hours :) But yeah. I ordered... now let me see... "Poached Eggs on English Muffin with Spinach and Truffle Essence Infused Hollandaise Sauce and Breakfast Potatoes" - which sounds pretty much like Eggs Benedict or Florentine or well just kinda sounds like one of those... and I ordered English Breakfast tea which is pretty much the essence of my survival here - I've just run out of teabags hence with the ordering.

And guess what came up in the tray :) I'm not complaining... I'm just wondering whether this is really their idea of what they've written down on the menu or if the brekkie chef is sick and there's some guy filling in for him.

Poached eggs yes. English muffin no. Spinach no. Truffle infused hollandaise sauce no. Breakfast potatoes no. What came up was quite amazing. Poached eggs on two pieces of white bread that had been sliced/cut into circles to resemble English muffins. NICE. Plus hash browns, bacon, two veal sausages and a not-very-grilled-tomato. Hmph. I suppose I could have asked them to change it but I didn't see the point. They'd just haggle over it - I mean there must be a reason why they hadn't done it right the first time eh? - and anyway I have to be back in the-boss-room by nine. Speaking of which it's nine now. MWAHAHAHAHAAAA....

Okay. I'm done here. Will be back soon :)

No comments: