Sunday, 8 February 2009

central drama

Today as the marathon runners were making their way past Central on their way to Victoria Park, I walked past the Hang Seng Bank headquarters building to wait for a bus that would take me to Wanchai.

As I walked past the closed glass doors, I heard yelling. I looked. A boy and a girl were having a humungous argument in Mandarin.

I continued forward, heading for the bus stop which was down three or four steps from where they were. Yell yell yell. The girl was seriously yelling at the boy. We tried hard not to stare. She threw her map at him, stomped over to pick it up, and then threw it at him again. All the while yelling at him. I can't imagine what he did to get himself into this predicament.

It was all so dramatic. Boy and girl come to Hong Kong on vacation and end up arguing like this? The end's in sight for this couple, I thought. I'm such a nosey parker. And it's so none of my business. But that's what I thought.

The boy kept pretty quiet throughout because the few times he'd try to venture a few words, the girl yelled at him with more intensity than before. Having thrown the map at him twice, they were now at a stand off. The girl standing three steps away, so mad she could barely speak.

I continued my wait for the bus, noting how several couples within earshot were discussing the couple that were now engaged in cold war. Ba gua is a common feature among Hong Kong people. Or perhaps just people in general.

I couldn't help looking back at them after a couple of minutes, only to find... they were locked in an embrace and the boy was smoothing the girl's hair. HOW DRAMATIC. It was so overly dramatic that I looked around for a camera crew. I was so sure someone was filming this. This could not possibly be just an everyday normal occurrence. This had to be film. Or TV. Something!

But it wasn't. Or not that I could see anyway. As my ex says, Film is often just a slice of real life. Hm.

God bless all the couples on holiday right now...!!

No comments: