Wednesday, 6 July 2011

Pentatonic scales.

It's humbling, learning how to play the guitar in a roomful of musicians, being taught by a pretty big singer-songwriter dude (who also happens to be my boss), and a session guitarist/band leader/producer. It's humbling, being encouraged by the bassist, the drummer and the background vocalist, all of whom also play (the drummer a bit less, but still kinda). It's humbling, when they make me turn the volume up and I am too embarrassed to do so. It also shows that some things haven't changed - I am still very proud. I don't like to be anything less than perfect. So I will practice when I think no one notices, and I will not turn the volume up so that no one else can hear the mistakes. The only thing is, being the only girl in a roomful of boys, no one cares what I think. Haha.

And today, the background vocalist said - actually I don't really remember who said it, it might have been the guitarist - Who cares, none of us do! We've all been through it, we've all been terrible and had to practice non-stop!

It's so true. It struck a chord. It made me realise how proud (and insecure) I am. They all know I'm no musical genius, and they won't like or respect me any less because I suck at playing scales. Such clarity, such epiphany, such suckness.

I wonder when I'll ever fully embrace who I am as a person. I write that, read it, and think maybe I should have used the word if instead of when. Hai.

So here I am at home, where no one can hear me (except perhaps my sleeping flatmate but he's sleeping), practising on my acoustic Yamaha, wishing I had an electric and an amp to go with it. I can't wait until I am satisfied with my guitar playing so that I can go on to learn the bass...

God bless the musicians, and the musician-wannabes too.

No comments: