Friday, 22 October 2004

Conversation.

-- Wai?
-- Hi.
-- Hi sweetie. You finished work?
-- Yeah.
-- You're at home?
-- No. I'm waiting to meet Sophia. She's got a lot of work and might need some help so I want to try and work for her.
-- Oh? Really?
-- Yeah.
-- What's the production company of Sophia?
-- She's starting a new company with two partners so I might go and work for them.
-- What kind of production?
-- Well... it's a new company but they're doing some music videos now and there's a feature film coming that's local Hong Kong.
-- Oh. And you gonna work with them?
-- I guess... if they hire me...
-- You really want to do production?
-- Yeah.
-- Your aunt has a production company in Shanghai... it's big and it's growing and there's a lot of business. You say you want to do production but you won't go and work there...?
-- My aunt wants me there to sort of look after her company. She wants to train me so that I can be the producer there and she can do other things... I can't give her that kind of commitment...
-- That's just an excuse.
-- But you know my Mandarin is terrible and I have no production experience. I'm not good enough to work there.
-- You haven't even tried! They WANT to hire you.
-- Yes but. But you see... can you imagine if I was working there for maybe three years, and then I wanted to leave... how could I leave when I know she's spent so much effort to train me and she wants me to stay there?
-- Cai! You haven't even started and you're already thinking about leaving? You really like to think about the 'future' huh.
-- I... I guess...
-- It's a terrible reason.
-- And if I move to Shanghai... I have no friends there... I'll always be calling you and bothering you and it's so ma fan.
-- I wouldn't care.
-- I don't know. I guess I'm just scared that I can't do it. It's too complicated.
-- You haven't even started and you're scared. You haven't even tried.
-- Yes but... I don't want to fail.
-- You don't know you will fail.
-- But my Mandarin is so bad and I can't really read or write Chinese. How can I survive in production in Shanghai?
-- Never mind. I don't understand you...
-- I know. We think differently...
-- Really. I really don't understand.
-- Boyfriend...
-- If you really do like production, you'd take the chance.
-- I do like production.
-- Well. Never mind. I guess I need to sleep soon...
-- Okay.
-- Have a good meeting with Sophia.
-- Okay.
-- Bye.
-- Bye.

No comments: