Tuesday, 15 March 2005

snow and coldness

Before I left for Guilin, I warned my colleagues that it would be snowing on Saturday in Hengdian which was where we would be over the weekend. When we got to Guilin though, it was hot and humid, and most, if not all, the team were like "It'll never snow! Are you crazy?" and I thought to myself "uh oh". I checked and checked the weather every single day... and it never changed, it still said "snow shower" in Hengdian on Saturday. On Friday, we had a particularly hectic schedule and everyone was sweating like a piggy by the evening, and when we went to dinner, the phrase I heard and heard was "It's never gonna snow". After dinner though, on our way back to our rooms, the wind started up and it got kinda chilly. Heh. The next morning, it was cold, even in Guilin. By the time we were flying over Hangzhou (where Hengdian is), the land below us was a yellowy white. SNOW!

We arrived in a snow shower, and had to rush to our locations as we didn't have much time. We got to a model of the Forbidden City - where Hero and many other movies were shot - and it was splendiferously beautiful. Covered in snow and all, it would have been the perfect setting for our movie. Too bad. It wasn't as cold as I'd expected though - I suppose in all countries that snow, it's the warmer times that gets the snow down.

Beautiful. I loved it :)

Thank God for my ex's down jacket - so warm that I could lend another jacket to a guy who hadn't brought along enough clothes. Poor boy, he'd joined us from Shanghai and hadn't heard my many warnings. Apparently, it dropped from 24 degrees to 6 degrees in Shanghai in the space of half a day. And from 6 degrees to -2. Madness. This weather. Whoever heard of snow in these not-really-up-north regions of China in the middle of March. Talk about global warming.

I was checking the weather in Shanghai for next week. It's roughly 6 to 12 degrees. I left Hong Kong for Shanghai last year on March 23rd - my first time in Shanghai, I will remember that date for a long time yet! Anyway. It was what... 14 to 19 degrees. Big difference... no? Hm.

My boss is an amazing man. Yet again it is apparent that I could never make a director. I don't have that kind of vision. I do, however, like facing the challenges that production (and producers) face. Maybe one day I will be organized and well balanced and able to multi-task enough to be a producer. For now, I just enjoy my life as an assistant. It's challenging but not too much so. But I also think it's time I moved on. I can't wait until the next movie. Hopefully I'll be doing something a little different by then...

Desperately need sleep though. I been playing that daft game "Shape Shifter" (found on www.coffeebreakarcade.com) until 2am every night. Madness. Okay. I'm going to bed NOW.

Good night :) God bless.

No comments: