Saturday, 22 July 2006

Tipping.

I am watching The F Word on ATV World - F stands for Food: it's a cooking show starring famous chef Gordon Ramsey.

There was a questionnaire done on the show about the worst things in restaurants - I don't exactly know how to word it. Sorry. Mind on other things. Anyway. So the top five were - well second to fifth first, and in no particular order - cell phones, bad seating (or seats too close together), breastfeeding I think, and PDAs (public displays of affection). And the winner is...

Double Tipping.

Now we all know that in civilized countries, there is usually no service charge so that you can tip. However, some places now put service onto the bill, and it is widely assumed that this money - usually 10% - goes to staff.

In Hong Kong, it does not.

I was reading the Lonely Planet guide to Hong Kong a while back doing research. There was a little box with a lightbulb, one of those Bright Idea things I guess. It basically told tourists, travellers, whoever was reading it, to not tip in Hong Kong because 95% restaurants charge service.

Do people actually realize that service charge in Hong Kong restaurants/bars etc, actually go to the establishment? Very very rarely does a small percentage of this go back to the staff.

Unfortunately, it is a common misconception that is hard to get rid of. On the other hand, even if people knew, it's not right to ask consumers and costumers to pay a so-called 'service charge' and tip. Right?

Ah well. If you've ever been out eating with me, you'll know that I tip. I guess it's those of us who work in the F&B industry who know how much tips are needed and appreciated. Having said that, if service sucks, don't tip.

Argh. I'm so tired. My brain is shutting down - too much thinking to do *shakes head*

God bless.

No comments: