Monday, 27 March 2006

questions.

Recently, I have been coming up against the How are you? and How are you doing? and How's life? questions quite a lot. I think it's because I've ventured out of my own safe circle of friends who don't ask these questions knowing that I can never answer properly.

Last night, a friend asked me how I was on msn. I laughed and told her that I've been asked that a lot recently and I've been giving a different answer to different people. And then it struck me that that's really weird. I wonder why I do that. Defense mechanism, perhaps?

Hey girl, how's it going?
Same old, same old.
Yeah? What've you been up to?
Nothing much really, hahahahaha. How are you?

Wai! Ho loi mo geen! What've you been up to?
Heeeey! How are you!
I'm doing great! Where've you been?
In Hong Kong, not doing much.
Still working in film?
Uh yeah... it's kinda slow though so I'm just bumming.
We should hang out more!
Uh yeah, give me a call, I'm not doing much!

Wow, it's been a while! How are you?
Um. I'm okay.
Yeah? That's good. Are you in Hong Kong now?
Um. Yeah
For good?
For now.
Good, it means we get to see more of you.
Supposedly haha...
Still working in film?
Uh... I don't know. Big western films aren't coming through Hong Kong so much now - they go straight to China... so I don't know.
Oh... and you can't...?
Well. It's hard to get into the local film scene cos I'm not quite local enough.
Where do they shoot in China?
Oh everywhere. Usually around Shanghai but not so much in Shanghai itself anymore. MI3 really pushed the prices up high there cos they just threw money at everyone.
Ah. So you can't really be based in a place in China then...
Well. I kinda tried that. Went to Shanghai without asking the Higher Powers and then um... got chucked back down to Hong Kong hahahaha...
I see. So you're looking for work here?
I don't quite know yet. How about you? Still teaching?

How are you?
I'm fine.
Really?
Uh yeah. I'm fine. I have no money to see a dentist but I'm surviving on Advil. But it's not as bad as it sounds. I'm okay, really.
Okay... How's the itch?
Uh... getting worse. I'm itchy all over really. Have frog spawn on my hands, my butt is covered in rash. It's all over my back, my legs.... I'm actually feeling very ugly hahahaha...
Uh oh. Have you seen a doctor?
Uh yeah. Seen three. Not been of much use. Stronger and stronger steroid creams. Pills. I don't know what else. I'm still itching to death.
Steroid creams are poisonous.
Yeah I know. But... without it it's worse.
Hm. But your face is okay...
Yah, thank GOD. You have no idea...!!!
Hahahahahaha
Hahahahahaha

Hey nice to meet you.
Yeah, nice to meet you too.
So how long have you been in Hong Kong?
Uh... on and off maybe ten years I think...
Oh, so you're from Hong Kong?
Yeah. Don't I look like a HongKonger?!
Hahahaha.
So how long are you in Hong Kong for?
I don't know. Maybe a few years.
Okay.
So what do you do?
I don't.
You don't?
I don't do anything.
Oh.

Girl, it's good to see you! I gotta rush but we gotta hang out.
Yeah. Call me.
When are you free?
I'm working Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays - only afternoons though.
Where are you working?
Cattle depot in To Kwa Wan.
What on earth is that?
Used to be a cattle slaughter house. It's now some artist village. Anyhoo. I'm just there to help cos they're short staffed.
Okay. Will call ya. Take care!

Different answers for different people. I wonder why. Over the past two weeks, I've been given the chance to step out in faith and change something in my life. Last week it was for healing (I might've been healed from this darn itch!!) and this week it was changing my life. I didn't step out either time. I don't know what kept me back. I don't quite regret it, but I do wonder What if...

A lot of people also asked why I didn't sign up for the Beijing trip. I guess I'm just not comfortable in big groups.

God bless. Have a beautiful week.

No comments: