Friday, 2 June 2006

The bus man.

Hong Kong has been gripped of late by the bus man - the ba si ah suk. It all began with a video posted up on the ever popular sites that people access now to watch all kinds of ridiculously funny (or sometimes just ridiculous) incidents that people catch on DVs or handicams or whatever you call those video-making-machines.

I didn't have the patience to watch the bus man incident. I'd stopped it and moved on to something else even though I'd been promised by a number of different people that it was hilarious and worth watching. I didn't see the point in watching this kid (well this guy who looks younger than me I think) being told off by this old man.

It all began, apparently, because the guy had put his hand on the old man's shoulder. And the man began to tell the guy off, a monologue longer than I could put up with. What I found odd, was that the young man didn't stalk off or lose his temper or anything. He just sat there and let the old man yell at him.

Ever since this incident, phrases from the tirade have spiced up local dialogue and enterprising young people are thinking of various creative ventures to profit from this ridiculous incident that has seeped into mainstream news.

The Hong Kong press (or paparazzi, whatever you like to call them) found the old man - goodness knows how!! - and the old man is asking $8000 for an interview. Or something like that. Anyway, you can now find news about the bus man in newspapers and magazines, and I was told - don't know whether it's true - that the bus man has found his way into the New York Times. I was flabbergasted.

I wish I had a link to the bus man video, but I don't. Not that I'd want to watch it, but perhaps you would be interested. Oh well :)

God bless the bus man.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. The bus company people are "investigating" the matter now because the old man violated a by-law (or maybe a law haha) by using harsh, profane language on a bus. Apparently there's a law to conduct oneself 'properly' or something like that. I'm sorry. My chinese is so bad hmm... hahahaha.

God bless :D

No comments: